Sunday, March 25, 2012

Distance Education

Without distance education, I would be unable to complete a degree.  Pursuing an education online allows me to attend school from Germany, Afghanistan, while I’m on leave in Maryland, or right here in Fayetteville, NC. I can also continue with the same school when I move from North Carolina this summer.   Going to school online allows me to complete an assignment at 3am or during my lunch break at work. 

Pros

Distance education seems to be a perfect fit for those who juggle other responsibilities such as a job and family. Distance education also provides better opportunities for those in rural locations.  Instead of being limited to what is offered in their area, these students are able to attend classes with students from all over the world.

Cons

Distance Education is not compatible with the learning styles of some students.  Some students do better in an environment where they interact with others.  Also, technology malfunctions are more likely to have an impact on the education of online students. 

Brosche and Feavel suggest the following in order to be successful online students.

·         Assess your computer knowledge and skills. Review and update your skills as necessary. 

·         Update your computer.  The book recommends installing Microsoft Office Suite.  Most online schools have specific requirements for computers, internet speed, and software.

·         Identify and address potential Internet Issues early.  I suggest getting the best internet possible.  I have a personal plan and backup plan.  I have two laptops.  My back up plan was to use the computers at work, but because a fire destroyed the building I worked in and we are in a temporary building while our new building is being renovated, work is sometimes not an option.  I also know that the libraries in Fayetteville have Wi-Fi.  I have discovered which restaurants on Ramsey St. offer free Wi-Fi.  I took advantage of this option when I returned from Afghanistan.

·         Locate local tech support.  The book suggests a family member or friend.  I have located a local computer repair guy who understands that I need my computer for school and will fix it quickly.  

·         Complete the Orientation Tutorial.  The orientation tutorial will help you learn to navigate the class site before you begin school and have to submit assignments.

·         Understand How to Access Your Web-Based Classrooms.  Understand how to participate in discussions.

I plan to continue with online school.  Someday I hope to help others with distane education. 

If you are reading this blog, what has helped you to be a successful online student?







Brosche, T., &Feavel, M. (2011).  Successful Online Learning:  Managing the Online Learning  

     Environment Efficiently and Effectively.  Sudbury, MA:  Jones & Bartlett Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment