Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Friends Don't Let Friends Use Color Vibration

Color is everywhere.  I love color.  I love decorating my house with color. I love using color to put designs together.  One thing I really hate to see is color being used improperly.  My biggest pet peeve is color vibration in Power Point presentations and websites.
Vibration occurs when blocks of brilliant and very different colors that are close or equal in  value are next to each other…The colors appear to shimmer and lose their edges.  The struggle to focus on edge, added to the struggle to reach equilibrium in two opposing colors at the same time, becomes a miserable visual experience.(Holtzschue,2006,p.79)
Don’t get me wrong, color vibration has its place. A psychedelic poster or a poster to gather attention could use a little color vibration.  One place not to use color vibration is in text. Here is an example of color vibration that I found on a website this week.

 I understand that some people are color-challenged and aren’t aware of fancy color theory terms, but all the color-challenged have to do is take a look and ask themselves, “Does this hurt my eyes to read?” If the answer is yes, use other colors.  There are many websites that help to pick color schemes that are pleasing to the eye.
Here is a link of a website from Penn State that tells us about some colors we should avoid putting together.  This site will come in handy in the coming weeks when we learn about accessibility.
Resource
Holtzschue, L., (2006).  Understanding Color:  An Introduction for Designers (3rd Ed).  Hoboken, New
     Jersey:  John Wiley & Sons.




1 comment:

  1. I agree Karen. The use of color vibration in presentations or websites makes me want to exit quickly or turn away if in a presentation. Color can make an amazing presentation or it can hurt a presentation. Thank you for sharing the website from Penn State. It will definitely be a great resource for this week.

    J. Acosta
    ECI 719

    ReplyDelete